My Photo
Name:
Location: Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

B.E (K.J.Somaiya, Mumbai, 06) PGP (IIM Ahmedabad, 08)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

IIM I Experience - Better late than never

Addiction to any activity was one of the weakness I had put in all my IIM forms...and to prove myself honest I have been playing fifa06 for the past 2 weeks without any break...So little wonder I couldnt post nething...but as the title suggests...better late than never..

So here goes...

The story begins from my exit from the IIMC interview....after which I had thought I had seen them all....Indore was never on a very high rank on my priority scale...So just relaxed...Despite being very sure that they were going to ask technical questions...made no efforts to do ne study whtsoever...here is the result...(So this is a reminder to all those kids who dont take studies seriously...this could happen to u too...)

Date:26th March 2006

The centre was at Vashi....Had no issues reaching there thanks to the IMS guys who had taken the pain to post the map of the place....

GD was a case study....a pretty long one....most parts of the case made no sense whtsoever(It was fun to read though...the writer might be of an engineering background too...Lots of free time to write all tht stuff)...It was pretty chilled...8 people...I started the GD...made some points(good or bad I dont know...points nevertheless)...but whateva..structured the GD in between....and according to me did enuff so that I didnt get kicked off just due to my GD...Had to write a summary too..Thanks to Jayants tips I knew tht I had to be quick while writing the summary...so managed to get done with tht too..

Now they were callin people in random order...Kind of stupid as u dont know when ur turn will come(When u got to go....u got to go...)And its worse when u are the 7th one to be called of the 8 in the group...more so cos...By the time your turn comes...there is hardly anyone nearby to listen to ur exponentially worsening jokes...

So after a wait of 3 Hrs my turn finally does come...The panel was the same as tht of the GD...2 guys in their early or mid 30s...A mucchad(MP) and a bald fair(BG) guy

MP: Long wait outside haan...
Me: Thats the beauty of IIM interviews...we can make friends from all over the country

BG: What were u ppl discussin
Me: General stuff...like jokes(Was abt to tell him abt all the swearing tht was being dished out abt Indore but....somehow my control is growing per day)

MP: Why fluctuatin marks
Me: Answered(wahi gissa pitta jawab)

And from here the techie(or was it!) begins

MP: Wht is the difference between IT and Comps
Me: IT more towards communication but Mumbai Univ missed the trick...nearly have the same syllab but for some swappin in the elective and compulsory subjects..

MP: Wht is Information Theory in Info theory and Coding(tht was a subj for us...which I had scored big time in)
Me: fundas on info and data ...abt uncertainity and all

MP: Not impressed by that answer....Who does the coding in Info Theory and coding(ITC)?
Me: WHAT(well dont read too much into tht line...I havent been able to figure out wht he wanted till now!)

MP: Who does the coding in ITC..
Me(after a bit more of whats) :I mean coding we do..implemetation by machine in case of codes like Huffman

MP(shakes his head): u have heard of coding in Mobiles
Me: We used J2ME in coll to code

MP: Was wht u wrote a code?
Me: yeah!(we compiled and ran it....wht else could it be)
MP: No(Again shakes his head)

MP:So u dont know ITC...wht else do u know...okie tell me the types of data structures
Me:arrays,stacks,queues,linkedlist
MP(after a bit of defns): how do u define the size of an array..(this leadin eventually to)..Wht s a 32 bit computer
Me(trying to recollect...Only god knows why I m trying for an IT engg certi): I think it is the number of bits tht can be processed at a given time...the data bus capacity or something
MP(shakes his head in utter disbelief...):NO

MP:okie leave that tell me u know of algos used for data structures
Me:U mean to say like sorting

MP:yeah...do diff data structures need different algos?
Me: (again thinkin)I guess it obviously should

Now MP had had enuff...he says nothing and just pushes my form and certis to BG

BG: So u were the GS?wht all did u organise
Me: Yeah...went on for sometime(Was happy finally someone asked this!)

BG: name some woman grandmasters
Me: Koneru Humpy I know...but dont follow chess as much..I play well(if there was one more interview i could as well made a tape)

BG:U watch football..English Spanish League??Who won the Leagues
Me(Now thts straight into my territory):Chelsea-English, Barca-Spanish

BG: name the order of english league last season...which finally lead to name some star players in Man U
Me: Named the entire squad and pointed out tht I m really passionate abt the club and feel every player is a star in the club!

They look at each other after a few more generic football questions like the whereabouts of beckham and all and then they tell me I can go...so an interview spanning 10 min..thts all

The impression they would have undoubtedly made would have been techie zero..not so bad in Extras....

According to an IIMC senior...also an Alumni of Somaiya...have told me the results shuld be out by 15th April.....

So tht was tht.....The journey reaches a destination....No more me joining politics questions..no more techie stuff...No more stress or gyaan on me not having girlfriends(Though that gyaan has seriously started to haunt me)!!!

But whatever said....This has been a really educative experience...I get in or not is immaterial(just bein too theatrical....it really does matter)...Only that which matters is the thrill involved...which makes it an experience to savour

2 Comments:

Blogger Chaitanya Kelkar said...

Hi!I think the experience u had was really cool and its really glad u all remebered each nd every question and wrote about it so that for any GD PI we can also refer to some of this stuff nd obv will contact u....for any other doubts..Well done mate..and best luck for the results..I really think u should get all 5 IIMs... Your score is good GD PI also was good.....Hope for the best!

12:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gud to read abt ur exp in the GDPIs. Must read them as well performed. Wish u the best for ur results...keep blogging.

7:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home